You may also like
3M™ Silane Glass Treatment is a surface treatment that is specially designed to help 3M™ adhesives stick and stay on uncoated glass surfaces. Glass is a hydrophilic surface, which means it is "water-loving." While glass itself does not absorb water, over time, this may lead to performance issues in humid or wet environments. This is due to water vapor undercutting the bond and interfering with normal adhesion. 3M™ Silane Glass Treatment has the property to convert the glass it has treated into a hydrophobic surface that repels water from that particular area. This acts as a protector of the bond to the glass.
It is best if this product is used within 90 days.
Be very careful with exposure to a heat source or open flames. This item contains flammable liquid and vapors. Keep away from sources of ignition and avoid static discharge.
Two Cloth Application Method
The glass surface must be relatively clean and dry. Excessively dirty or oily surfaces should first be cleaned with a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water mixture and dried with a lint-free cloth.
- Step 1: Moisten a clean, soft, absorbent, lint-free cloth with the Silane Glass Treatment solution. Do not dip the cloth into the solution as this will contaminate the bottle.*
- Step 2: Vigorously apply the solution over the area to be bonded in one direction. The manufacturer suggests that only a very thin layer, also known as a monolayer, of the Silane solution gives the best and most consistent results.
- Step 3: In an effort to achieve a monolayer, the area should then be re-wiped in one direction with a fresh, clean, lint-free, dry cloth immediately after initial application. The glass should now be completely dry with no film residue visible. (If clouding has occurred, excess solution has been applied. If the excess has not been wiped off properly to create the monolayer and clouding occurs after drying, remove with a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and water mixture, then follow this procedure again.)
- Step 4: Under normal temperature conditions (50°F - 100°F), it is best to wait 1-2 minutes before applying the 3M™ tape product (like Snads) so that any residual moisture can evaporate. Apply tape product within 15 minutes after treating the glass surface to minimize the risk of re-contamination of the surface.
- *Please Note: The Silane Glass Treatment may also be sprayed onto the glass surface and vigorously wiped with the clean cloth around the perimeter of the glass or wherever the tape product will be applied.
Shipping Note: This item is flammable. Flammable items can only be shipped Ground to the 48 contiguous United States. This item cannot ship via Post Office.
|Coverage:||Approximately 20-25 square feet per 4 ounce bottle|
|Application Temperature:||50°F - 100°F (10°C - 37.78°C)|
|Clean Up:||50/50 Solution of Isopropyl Alcohol and Water|
Adding this item to your shopping cart will eliminate any air transportation shipping methods. The order can ONLY be shipped Ground to the 48 contiguous United States.
Offline viewing of PDF documents requires Adobe Reader.Download Adobe Reader >
I did not realize potential issues with glass applications until I read your web site. The reviews and description give me confidence that this pretreatment prior to the application of snaps on glass will work well. I won’t know until Spring.
Time will tell if it helps double-sided adhesive tape to maintain its adhesion outside...I'm hopeful!